The prolific playwright had a lot to say about love, as you will see with these Shakespeare love quotes from some of his most notable plays.
While “love is blind” may have originated from Chaucer’s Merchant’s Tale, it gained popularity as a Shakespeare quote. It was one of his favorite lines and appeared in Two Gentleman of Verona, Henry V, and The Merchant of Venice.
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is wing’d cupid painted blind,” from A Midsummer’s Night Dream is one of my favorite renditions of this line!
Antony and Cleopatra is one of Shakespeare’s memorable romances, but the play has also been called a history play (though historical accounts were not strictly adhered to), a tragedy, a comedy, and a problem play.
It wouldn’t be an article about Shakespeare’s love quotes without some words from Romeo and Juliet or Petruchio and Katherine from The Taming of the Shrew. (Check out these quotes from Patrick and Katherine in 10 Things I Hate About You!)
Enjoy these Shakespeare love quotes from your favorite play and keep reading to learn more about his own love story!
Shakespeare Love Quotes from Antony & Cleopatra
1. “If it be love indeed, tell me how much.” — Cleopatra
2. “The heart of brothers govern in our loves.” — Antony
3. “Sir, you and I have loved, but there’s not it.” — Cleopatra
4. “There’s beggary in love that can be reckoned.” — Antony
5. “My heart was to thy rudder tied by th’ strings.” — Antony
6. “In praising Antony, I have dispraised Caesar.” — Cleopatra
7. “Why did he marry Fulvia, and not love her?” — Cleopatra
8. “The armourer of my heart. False, false. This, this!” — Antony
9. “The stroke of death is as a lovers pinch, which hurts and is desired.” — Cleopatra
Mental.guide is your guide in the world of psychology. In our online-journal you will find answers to many questions: how to overcome stress and depression, how to control your worry, how to manage anxiety and phobia, how to start loving and respecting yourself and many others.
Here you will get pieces of advice from the psychologists who will help you understand yourself better and start living in a harmony with this world around. Everyday updates are waiting for you here. So, if your feel upset, depressed and worried our psycho guide is ready to help you! We are your online help that is always at hand.
Owner: SNOWLAND s.r.o.
Registration certificate 06691200
16200, Na okraji 381/41, Veleslavín, 162 00 Praha 6